Soundworker & Activist
Soundwork: positive music and sound
The Shift Network presents
SOUND HEALING SUMMIT 2021
August 9-13, 2021
FREE event! Register here.
Along with 34 esteemed soundworkers,
Joshua Leeds will be presenting
ALFRED TOMATIS: EINSTEIN OF THE EAR
Dr. Alfred Tomatis (1920-2001)
Tomatis Core Principles
• The primary function of the ear is to charge the neocortex of the brain.
• Sound is a nutrient for the nervous system.
• There is a distinction between hearing and listening.
• The quality of an individual’s listening ability will affect both spoken and written language development.
• The active process of listening can be enhanced or refocused by auditory stimulation using high frequencies.
• Communication is a process that begins in utero.
• We can duplicate only the sounds we can hear. This is known as The Tomatis Effect.
Suggested Reading and Websites
• The Conscious Ear – Alfred A. Tomatis
(1991 Station Hill Press)
• When Listening Comes Alive – Paul Madaule
(1994 Moulin Pub)
• Listening for Wellness – Pierre Sollier
(2005 The Mozart Center Press)
• The Power of Sound – Joshua Leeds
(2010 Inner Traditions)
• Tomatis Developement SA www.tomatis.com
• Advanced Brain www.advancedbrain.com
• Integrated Listening www.integratedlistening.com
• Dorinnne Davis www.dorinnedavis.com
Dear soundworkers and music lovers around the world. We are in an evolutionary time.
Now are the seeds of renaissance, where artists and visionaries help guide cultures into newer, greater ways of being. We've entered the time of deep listening and asking, “What is called for and needed?”
As soundworkers, our music, rhythms, frequencies and heartspace are called for and needed.
Everywhere, people are in uncertainty. Music has always served as a primary antidote for social cohesion.
This is a new time for shedding old identities, learning new skillsets, seeking silver linings, being alert and of service.
In 2021–the age of coronavirus, climate change, systemic racism, income inequity, amoral politicians, and unbridled technology–
seven billion sisters and brothers are looking and listening for a new wholeness.
Redefining the Role of Music in 2021 –
Community Sonic Activism
Globally, we are living in an unparalleled time of multiple and coincident challenges.
Forward! There is no going back because collectively we have all shifted, peri-Covid.
Isolation has become a psychological by-product of these times.
Politicization has undermined the best of science.
The arts have an opportunity to play a major role in community healing.
Music is historically known for rebuilding social cohesion.
A redefining of the healing role of musicians in disrupted culture is called for.
Therapeutic/concert/folk musicians and educated soundworkers evolve into sonic activists.
The new audience/listener/patient emerges: culture writ large.
Renaissance is at hand. Creative, enhanced skillsets produce 21st Century music and sound.
Soundwork colleagues, please help define and enact this essential emergence of physical, emotional and spiritual sonic activism. Kindly share with your colleagues in this time of need.
Soundwork on a Hot Rock–
Music & Sound in Times of Change (2021)
The Power of Sound (2010, 2000)
Through a Dog's Ear (2008)
Sonic Alchemy (1997)
Joshua Leeds has created psychoacoustically-based soundtracks since 1986. His studio techniques have advanced the field of soundwork into neurodevelop-mental clinics, classrooms, animal care facilities, offices, and homes.
Known for dynamic presentations, Joshua's research into music and sound for people and animals is singular. Core participants include musicians, educators, and therapeutic professionals.